WATERLOGGED pitches have left Prestwich Heys kicking their heels, with their weekend game at Cleator Moor Celtic and Tuesday night’s hosting of Garstang falling foul of the rain.

The postponements mean a frustrating time for Matt Barnes’ men, particularly given that they were denied victory by a 95th-minute equaliser in their most recent outing, a 2-2 draw at Lower Breck.

A header from a corner by Tom Kinsella gave Lower Breck a dramatic leveller to deny Heys victory last week at the Anfield Sports Community Stadium.

On a cold night, a topsy-turvy game of two halves looked to be heading Heys’ way but the last-gasp strike meant they missed out on being the first team to beat the North West Counties First Division North leaders on their home ground this season.

Barnes named an unchanged side from the previous weekend’s 1-0 victory at home to Golcar United and went into the game in Merseyside in confident mood.

Despite being top, Lower Breck had hit a spell of patchy form with two draws and two defeats in their previous four games so a close encounter looked on the cards despite the sides’ positions in the league table.

The first 15 minutes were fairly even with Jamie Hill shooting wide right from 20 yards and a shot from Lower Breck’s Luke Duffy, shortly after, going wide of the right-hand post.

The hosts were first to strike in the 15th minute when a ball over from the left found James Colbeck whose fierce shot crashed into the net to give them the lead, despite Heys keeper Russ Saunders getting a hand to it.

From that point Lower Breck took control of the game, putting the visitors’ back four under intense pressure and they missed a great chance on 28 minutes when a ball through the middle found Stephen Milne, his finish from six yards out going wide of the post.

Heys tried to fight back and a darting run down the right from Hill saw him put a great cross over into the six-yard box but it just evaded Reece Lyndon, who was charging into the box.

Saunders was called into action again on 43 minutes, tipping a free kick over the bar from 25 yards as the home side continued to dominate.

Heys went into the break a goal down but with plenty of time to turn it around and whatever team boss Matt Barnes said at the interval it certainly did the trick as his side came flying out of the blocks on the restart.

Almost immediately midfielder Joe Rothwell, on the right, hit a 20-yard shot just wide of Lower Breck keeper Nathan Wolland’s right-hand post.

Suddenly the visitors increased the pace and, with Hill rampaging down the right and Zack Dale advancing down the left flank, they were starting to give the home side a torrid time.

On the hour mark, Dale ran through the middle and found Hill whose shot was deflected behind.

From the resulting corner the ball was floated into a crowded box where a shot from Dale was cleared off the line with the Breck back line now visibly shaken at the Heys onslaught.

The pressure finally told in the 66th minute when Dale, on the halfway line, floated a lovely cross-field pass from left to right to find Hill who broke down the wing. Just when it looked like he was running out of room, he cut inside and squeezed a shot just inside the post to level matters and score his first goal for the club.

There was no let-up from Heys and a shout for handball in the penalty box soon after the equalizer was waved away by the referee.

Nathan Emery was also getting joy down the left for Heys as they maintained their work rate.

Cramping up late in the game, Hill was replaced by Francesco Frangillo but he had earned the rapturous applause from the Heys fans for his night’s work.

Lower Breck tried to rally but, three minutes from time, Dale broke clean through and rounded the keeper but somehow sent the ball agonisingly wide of the post.

Back came Heys again and in the 89th minute, Dale’s charged down the left saw him send a peach of a ball deep into the box, providing a tap-in for the inrushing Lyndon to score his first for the club and spark wild celebrations on and off the pitch.

Those turned to groans as five minutes of stoppage time were signalled, though Heys looked comfortable until in the last of those, when Lower Breck were awarded a corner.

Seconds remained as the ball was floated over to find the head of Kinsella who rose above the Heys back line to head firmly past Saunders to snatch a point for the Anfield side.

Just as the ball was being brought back to the centre circle the referee blew to signal the end of a thoroughly entertaining clash.

It was, however, a frustrating finish for Heys after working so hard to go 2-1 up against a talented Lower Breck side but they will have to look at it as a hard-earned point after being dominated by the hosts in the first half.

The games come thick and fast in January and it was clear on the second half display that Barnes’ team is starting to gel so Heys supporters have plenty to look forward to over the coming weeks.

Heys will hope they can get back to action this Saturday when they host AFC Darwen.

Kick off at Adie Moran Park is 3pm.