MAX White put the smiles back on Heys fans’ faces with a 70th-minute strike that gave his side a 1-0 victory over Premier Division side Winsford United in the Macron Cup.

In a hard-fought encounter, the game looked to be heading for a penalty shootout with the teams locked in a second-half stalemate but the midfielder popped up to sweep home the decisive strike that booked Heys a home tie with AFC Darwen in the second round on November 9.

The game saw a first appearance in the dugout by Matt Barnes, brought in by Jon Lyons as joint manager during the week. However, the opening quarter, would doubtless have given the duo much to discuss.

Heys were unable to make any impression in the game in that period as Winsford controlled matters. However, whatever messages were sent from the touchline obviously reaped dividends as, by the interval, Heys could have held a handsome lead.

With four successive wins behind them, Winsford were quick out of the traps, playing with confidence and giving Heys little chance to establish any momentum. The lively Obi Anoruo fired one chance just wide and forced Heys keeper Russell Saunders to drop smartly to save his second effort.

Nathan Cotterill was next to threaten for the visitors, getting clear to round Saunders, but as he shot goalwards, Mark Ayres got back to tidy up and clear the danger.

Winsford continued to threaten and went close again as a lightning break from a Heys corner saw Anoruo go clear but Saunders excelled, coming out sharply to smother his shot.

It was not until the 26th minute that Heys got their first real sight of goal, Brad Sixsmith clearing the bar with a first-time shot from Rio Wilson-Heyes’ cross.

However, the opportunity marked a change in momentum in the game. Suddenly, it was Heys pressing forward and the visitors on the back foot.

On the half-hour mark, the White brothers worked a short corner and Winsford keeper Michael Langley had to be alert to cut out the danger from Max White’s cross.

Moments later came a remarkable passage of play. Anthony Hall burst into the box and fired in a shot that came off the post, breaking loose to Jamie Sinnott whose shot was blocked by a defender. As the ball ricocheted around the area, Danny White saw a follow-up effort diverted round the post.

Heys were now flying and Wilson-Heyes broke from deep before firing over before the industrious Sinnott saw a shot cleared off the line.

On the stroke of half time, great work from Hall saw him pick out Danny White but he failed to get over his finish.

Heys were probably disappointed to hear the half-time whistle, even more so when Winsford started the second period in more enterprising fashion.

The visitors should perhaps have taken the lead in the 53rd minute when one-time Heys striker Brian Matthews rose in the box, but he put his close-range header wide

Heys responded and a strong run by Sinnott took him into the box, before he teed up the incoming Max White whose shot cleared the bar.

With both sides battling for the upper hand and defences on top the game became untidy and a little attritional.

However, in the 70th minute the deadlock was broken. As Heys got forward a loose cross was seized upon by Wilson-Heyes. He turned and picked out a perfect pass for the incoming Max White to sweep home a first-time shot and spark scenes of jubilation.

The visitors took to the attack in a bid to rescue the tie but there was a confidence about Heys’ defending as they saw out the game for a deserved victory.

On Tuesday night Heys staged a stunning late fightback to reach the last eight of the Lancashire Challenge Trophy with a penalty shootout win at West Didsbury.

The hosts deservedly led 2-0 with just four minutes of the game remaining.

Although they had their moments in the game, Heys were grateful to goalkeeper Thomas Simpson for keeping them in the tie with a string of great saves, including a 70th-minute penalty save.

At the time Didsbury led 2-0, courtesy of goals either side of half time from Thomas Horner and James Cottee.

However, Heys refused to throw in the towel and four minutes from time Sixsmith slotted home from the edge of the area.

As the game entered injury time, Sixsmith, pictured below, struck again to send the game to penalties.

With Didsbury missing their second spot kick, Heys proved lethal with their penalties – Hall, Dylan Moth, Max White, Carl Fitton and Jacob Holt all scoring – to complete a remarkable comeback victory.