PRESTWICH Heys chalked up a fourth successive win in the First Division North, defeating Cleator Moor Celtic 2-0 at Adie Moran Park on Tuesday night.

On a night when Heys gave a nod to the future with a youthful line up it was a couple of the old hands who paved the way for victory, Lee Bruce and Mark Ayres striking the game’s two goals which came in as many first-half minutes.

Whilst not always convincing, Heys largely appeared to hold the edge throughout over their Cumbrian visitors who pushed them all the way on a bitterly cold evening.

Despite their 138-mile trip, Celtic made the livelier start, forcing a couple of early corners as Heys struggled to find their rhythm.

It took until the 11th minute for Heys to threaten when Will Shawcross worked space in the penalty area to test Celtic keeper Craig Divine at the near post.

It was portent of what was to follow as Heys began to exert their authority on proceedings. James Dwyer, who worked impressively at the heart of a young midfield twice went close. He first saw a shot deflected wide and, from the ensuing corner, the ball broke on the edge of the area and his thunderous shot cannoned back off the crossbar.

Heys’ pace and movement was causing real problems for the visitors and Shawcross was next to go close as he jinked into box, only for Divine to gather his shot.

However, in the 35th minute, Heys made the breakthrough. A ball over the top breached the defensive line and Bruce broke clear to round the keeper and steer home.

Two minutes later, Heys doubled their lead. From a free kick just inside the Celtic half Carl Fitton delivered a perfect ball to pick out Ayres, who rose above everyone and headed home.

It could have been more on the stroke of half time as some neat play by Lee Grimshaw teed up Bruce, but his shot was always rising.

Heys continued to press at the start of the second period. Brad Sixsmith fired just wide and Jacob Holt went close with a header from a corner.

However, Celtic’s play carried more purpose than it had done for much of the first half and they reminded the hosts the game was far from over with a stinging shot from Jamie Glover that just cleared the bar.

It signalled a good spell for the visitors. Glover went close again with a shot on the turn before Heys keeper Mike Smith had to be alert to smother a header from the unmarked Stuart Shaw.

Having shown off their attacking skills, the Heys youngsters, were also showing they also had an appetite for the hard work and their energy and ceaseless endeavour helped to quell any hopes of a comeback from the visitors.

Their victory could have been by a wider scoreline but Shawcross was twice denied by Devine, who also raced quickly from his line to smother a shot from Prestwich’s top scorer Lee Grimshaw.

Nonetheless, it was job done for Heys who make the short trip to title-chasing Avro on Saturday, kick off 3pm.