A WILL Shawcross double was not enough to give Prestwich Heys the victory they sought in pursuit of a top-four spot in First Division North as they let slip a two-goal lead to draw 3-3 at Daisy Hill.

Despite looking like they might swamp their relegation-threatened hosts early on, Heys never pushed home that superiority as general sloppiness and a malaise that has all too often prevailed this season came to the fore.

Heys made the perfect start, taking a first-minute lead with a freak goal that would prove in keeping with an untidy, scrappy game lacking real quality.

Indecision between home keeper Ryan Tweddle and his defence allowed Danny White to close down his attempted clearance, the ball rebounding into the net.

Heys’ football was full of early purpose with Cory Knight heading just wide and Liam Healey and Rio Wilson-Heyes both going close.

It was the latter that paved the way for Heys to double their lead in the 16th minute, his run and rolled ball across the box allowing Shawcross to fire into the top corner.

However, Heys then became sloppy and the Daisies seized the opportunity to gain a foothold in the game, with Jamie Ramwell firing wide and seeing another shot tipped to safety by Michael Smith.

But the keeper gifted Ramwell a goal, his clearance going straight to the striker, who slotted into an unguarded net.

Shawcross quickly restored the two-goal cushion, following in to slam into the roof of the net after White’s free kick was spilled by Tweddle.

There was still another twist left in the half as former Heys striker Ashley Stott drew a challenge from James Dwyer that led to a penalty, which he gleefully dispatched himself.

The second half opened in untidy fashion with neither side keeping possession, though Dwyer headed against the crossbar and Tweddle held Knight’s shot at the second attempt.

Misplaced passing, over elaboration and a general lack of intensity proved the order of the day.

The Daisies’ Connor Lucas glanced a header wide and they squandered good openings with some wayward finishing.

But, nine minutes from time, Daisy Hill finally punished Heys.

Stott was the architect, rolling the ball across the edge of the box for Hensley Mills to drill a low shot into bottom corner.

Heys rallied and Knight saw a header pushed to safety and Brad Sixsmith shot narrowly wide following a great run.

However, it was too little to late and the result leaves Heys with it all to do if they are to clinch a top-four spot and a place in next season’s FA Cup.

Their game at home to fourth-placed AFC Liverpool this

Saturday now looks pivotal.

Kick off is 3pm.