PRESTWICH Heys’ cup involvement was ended for the season by two defeats in eight days.

A week after Heys suffered a Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy quarter-final defeat by Bamber Bridge they were knocked out of the Macron Cup by Nelson on Tuesday night.

Heys had been the lowest-ranked team remaining in the LFA Trophy and gave a good account of themselves at home to Bamber Bridge but the Evo-Stik Premier side, who play three rungs higher up the non-league ladder, eventually asserted their authority.

Bamber Bridge started strongly and led in the ninth minute through Danny McKnight who curled home a free kick from the edge of the area.

Heys hit back three minutes later when a wickedly-deflected shot by Rio Wilson-Heyes found its way into the net.

The game became something of a midfield stalemate until, with half time closing in Bridge regained the lead. Chris Marlow got free down the left wing and whipped over a terrific cross for Ali Waddecar to head home at close range.

The visitors came out strongly for the second half and Heys keeper Michael Smith pulled off a smart save to deny Danny Forbes.

At the other end, Heys’ Chris Baguley put a free kick just over and Lee Bruce saw his shot well saved.

In the 68th minute, though, Bridge took a grip on the game with a third goal as Forbes scored with a back-post header from a cross that dropped just inside the upright.

The visitors took total control thereafter and McKnight added his second to make it 4-1 in the 78th minute with another free-kick, this time chipping the ball over the wall and into the goal with Smith – the Hallmark Security League’s Reusch Goalkeeper of the Month for November – rooted to the spot.

Heys’ Macron Cup hopes for the season were then ended with a 2-1 third-round defeat at Nelson.

Despite plenty of chances for Heys it was another another frustrating night.

The better side for long periods, they missed chances, and first-half defensive errors proved costly as Nelson progressed.

The hosts had opened a two-goal lead but Wilson-Heyes’ 38th-minute strike gave Heys hope.

However, it was not to be and Heys are now left with just the league to focus on, starting at Atherton LR on Saturday. Kick off at Crilly Park is 3pm.