JUSTIN Pickering and Theodore Kidd came off the bench to finally secure Prestwich Heys a deserved victory over Steeton in the Hallmark Security League North Division.

Jon Lyons and Ryan Hutchinson’s side dominated the game for long periods with some superb, fast-flowing football but it was not until the last 15 minutes that they secured the points.

Missed chances, fine goalkeeping, the woodwork and dogged Steeton defending conspired to thwart Heys and there was a feeling Steeton may return across the Pennines with at least a point.

The Yorkshire side, despite being on the back foot for most of the game, also had their chances in a nervy second half.

Heys have had a stuttering start to the season but there were signs they are rediscovering the form that took them to the brink of promotion last season.

Their injury woes show no signs of abating, though. Lee Bruce suffered an injury in the warm-up and Chris Baguley picked up a knock on six minutes.

Heys had already showed their attacking intentions by that point, Lee Grimshaw testing Alfie Stevens -Neale in the Steeton goal.

Heys should have gone ahead when a super run and cross by Rio Wilson-Heyes found the unmarked Michael Itela but the striker put his header wide.

The miss almost proved costly as the visitors almost scored with their first attack, James Grogan missing Calum Jakovlevs’ goal.

Heys took the lead when Max White’s free kick was met by Grimshaw, who headed home at the far post.

Two minutes later Wilson-Heyes waltzed through, only to see his low shot come off the foot of the post. With the pressure on, Grimshaw headed wide from an Itela cross and White was denied by Stevens-Neale.

Grimshaw then saw a shot deflected wide as Heys did everything but score, and it was Steeton grabbing the next goal, Angus Maney knocking in a simple tap-in.

Jamie Baguley fired wide as Heys looked to respond but the visitors’ Briggs and Maney both found the side-netting with efforts on goal.

Stevens-Neale ensured parity for Steeton at half time, keeping out an Itela shot and pushing Wilson-Heyes’ follow-up to safety.

Soon after the break Jamie Baguley and on the hour mark a Grimshaw flick came off the post.

Steeton also had two good chances but Ben Clarkson ‘s close-range header was straight at Jakovlevs and the Heys keeper also pulled off a fine reflex save to keep out a Tobias Jeffrey shot.

Fifteen minutes from time Heys found a way through as Pickering – who has missed all of the season so far after breaking his collarbone in pre-season – netted with his first touch in a Heys shirt, timing his run to perfection to sweep in Grimshaw’s cross.

Heys’ work was still not done as Steeton went looking for an equaliser but Kidd sealed victory on 87 minutes, drilling a shot into the far corner.

Unbeaten in five, Heys host Daisy Hill on Saturday.

Kick off at Adie Moran Park is 3pm.