PRESTWICH Heys bowed out of the FA Cup at the hands of Radcliffe, who were 2-0 winners on a historic day at Adie Moran Park.

The local sides’ preliminary round tie was streamed live across the country by the BBC, with more than 500 supporters crowding into the ground to set a new stadium record.

But Heys could not deliver the fairy-tale performance on their day in the spotlight as Boro put in an impressive showing to continue their winning start to the season with a goal in each half from Ben Wharton.

The two-division gulf threatened a miserable afternoon for the hosts with keeper Michael Smith thwarting Shelton Payne twice in the first 10 minutes.

But Smith could do nothing to prevent Boro’s opening goal. A header from Tommy Lent was blocked by the Heys keeper but Wharton was the quickest to react and slot in the loose ball.

George West of Radcliffe and Heys’ Chris Baguley both fired over, and after West was denied by another stunning save from Smith, Boro keeper Ollie Martin preserved his side’s lead with a great save of his own, from Rio Wilson-Heyes’ shot shortly before half time.

Heys were arguably the more enterprising side in the second half and Theo Kidd set up Baguley for a shot after dispossessing a defender, Baguley unable to keep his shot down.

And Radcliffe increased the lead 25 minutes from time. Their claims for a penalty – for handball against Danny Vincent – were waved away but the ball broke for Elliot Rokka and although his shot rebounded off the post the ball fell kindly for Wharton to poke in for his second.

Heys continued to ask questions of their visitors from the Evo-Stik West and Kidd got in behind the defence, Martin reacting quickly to smother his shot.

Max White almost set up a grand finale with time almost up, bending a fine free kick over the wall and towards the bottom corner but Martin preserved his clean sheet with another top-drawer save, tipping the ball around the post.

Jon Macken’s Radcliffe came through a stiff test with a solid performance but there were plenty of positives for Heys, who gave an excellent account of themselves on a landmark afternoon.

On Monday both teams returned to league action and while Radcliffe dished out a heavy defeat to hosts Trafford, Heys conceded six times in a home defeat to Avro.

Radcliffe were 5-0 winners at Trafford, with Wharton and Tunde Owolabi netting two goals each, Rick Smith also finding the net for Boro, who top the Evo-Stik West table.

Macken’s men have now scored 11 goals in their three league games, while just conceding one goal.

Meanwhile Heys welcomed old rivals from their Manchester League Days, Avro, to Adie Moran Park but their early-season struggles continued with a 6-2 defeat.

Avro led twice early on but were pegged back by Heys, who scored through Lee Grimshaw and Danny Meadowcroft.

But, after being level at 2-2 at half time, Heys conceded a third goal in the first minute of the second half. From that point they laboured and conceded three more goals on a day to forget.

Heys turn their attention to FA Vase preliminary-round action this Saturday when they travel to Holker Old Boys, kick off 3pm.

A long trip then awaits in their midweek journey to Hallmark Security League First Division North table-toppers Carlisle City on Wednesday, 8pm kick off.

Boro return home this Saturday, for an Evo-Stik West fixture against Colwyn Bay.

Kick off at the Neuven Stadium is 3pm.