PRESTWICH Heys suffered a heavy 5-1 defeat at Longridge Town, but the scoreline does not tell the whole story of a frustrating afternoon in Lancashire.

The first half saw Longridge with the wind at their backs and edging the exchanges.

Jacob Wood was booked for an aerial challenge on 11 minutes, and the Heys defence was called upon minutes later to smother a decent opportunity for the hosts.

On 22 minutes, Longridge opened the scoring when a cross from the right was poked home by Paul Turner, Heys protests for a foul on Jamie Baguley going unnoticed.

In truth, Heys never really got going through the first half, attacking sporadically as the home side held the upper hand.

Danny Vincent made a vital interception on 25 minutes, and Longridge continued to press down both flanks.

Ten minutes before the break Heys pieced together a decent move, Chris Baguley, Rio Wilson-Heyes and Carl Fitton combining, but the defence snuffed out the danger.

Deep into added time, disaster struck as Turner controlled a long through ball before clipping home to double Longridge’s lead.

Heys had it all to do in the second half and started in stunning fashion when Jamie Baguley fired a superb drive into the bottom corner from just outside the penalty area from a Wilson-Heyes pass to reduce the arrears. Three minutes later, Wood headed against the bar, but the referee’s whistle had blown.

As the game became stretched the home side should have scored when a dangerous cross evaded one striker, before a second fired high and wide.

There was controversy on 52 minutes when Theo Kidd was felled in the Longridge penalty area. The assistant flagged for a penalty, but the referee ruled that it was a fair challenge.

Jacob Holt was then booked for an innocuous challenge in midfield, while a two-footed challenge from behind resulted in only a free-kick and a caution for the Longridge centre-half.

Four minutes later, Danny White had a gilt-edged chance to score, but delayed getting his shot in and desperate Longridge defending kept their goal intact.

Heys’ frustrations came to the surface on the hour mark when the referee first sent Ryan Hutchinson from the technical area, with Jon Lyons following him a minute later.

Baguley replaced Kidd, and with 20 minutes left, the game looked all but over when Longridge were awarded a penalty, which was converted by substitute Richie Allen.

Wilson-Heyes made a fine run into the home penalty area, but his powerful shot hit the bar before bouncing to safety.

The game was over as a contest when an Allen strike cannoned back off the far post, and Joe Melling was the first to react to fire the loose ball home.

Four minutes later, a lack of concentration in the Heys defence allowed Daniel Wilkinson a free header to make it 5-1 to the home side.

Just when things looked like they could not get any worse for Heys, Holt was shown a straight red card for bringing down a Longridge striker advancing on goal.

Heys host Radcliffe on Saturday in the preliminary round of the FA Cup at Adie Moran Park, and on Monday they welcome Avro for a league fixture. Both games kick off at 3pm.