PRESTWICH Heys made the most of an early postponement to Saturday's scheduled league fixture, firing eight goals past Wythenshawe Amateurs in a hastily arranged friendly.

Heavy rain put paid to their Hallmark Security League First Division match at home to Carlisle City.

But that gave Jon Lyons' men the chance to enjoy a timely confidence boost on the all-weather surface at Salford Sports Village.

Heys had suffered three straight defeats before last weekend – at Charnock Richard in the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy and against Silsden AFC and Cammell Laird 1907 in the league – which had seen them fall out of the promotion places into third.

The dip in results followed a run of 11 matches unbeaten, and Lyons will hope his players will now rediscover the form that led them to second in table.

Wythenshawe, who are second in the Manchester League Premier Division and are looking to make the step up into the Hallmark Security League, have become familiar friendly opponents in recent seasons.

And they certainly provided a useful exercise for Heys, who found their shooting boots and kept a clean sheet after scoring just once and conceding 10 goals in their previous three defeats.

The game also allowed the likes of Danny Vincent and Dylan Stringer-Moth, who are both returning from long-term injuries, to get valuable minutes under their belts.

While new face Jonny Hurst made a promising debut, including notching up Heys' sixth goal.

Lyons' men started tentatively but hit their stride after firing in the opener in the seventh minute, when Jake Wood headed home Stringer-Moth's floated cross.

Lee Bruce went close to doubling Heys' advantage before Mark Baguley pulled off a smart save at the other end from a one-on-one situation.

There was little to suggest of the rout to come as Lyons' men made it to the break with a one-goal lead, and it took another Baguley save from a one-on-one to keep it that way early in the second half.

James Brookes also made a great covering tackle to deny a clear opening before Heys upped the ante, as Shaun Johnson's shot clipped the bar and Bruce was denied by the keeper's legs.

Heys finally increased their lead on the hour, and in some style.

Some good passing found Rio Wilson-Heyes who lofted a first-time shot from 25 yards over the keeper and under the bar. 

They went on to add six more goals in the final 20 minutes. 

A great long pass by Matt Grimshaw picked out Alfie Belcher and the wide man went through to steer home their third on 70 minutes.

Three minutes later Belcher went clear again to finish before Bruce slotted home from close range after a fine passing move.

Seven minutes from time, Hurst turned in the box pulled the ball down and volleyed home a sumptuous sixth for a now rampant Heys.

Belcher completed his hat-trick four minutes later, running at the heart of the Wythenshawe defence before drilling home.

The final act of the game fell to Brooks, whose strong running saw him advance from midway in the half, before rifling a shot into the bottom corner.

Heys will look to transfer their form when they return to league action on Saturday at home to promotion rivals Sandbach United.

Meanwhile, the reserves chalked up an impressive 4-1 win at East Manchester in the Manchester League Premier Division, coming from behind to beat the third-placed hosts. The goals came from Jordan Burton, Ashley Oparah, Greg Wills and Richard Woodward.

On Saturday, the reserves travel to Stockport Georgians (2pm).