PRESTWICH Heys moved up to third place in the Hallmark Security League First Division after Saturday's five-star display at home to Holker Old Boys.

Rio Wilson-Heyes scored twice and put in a man-of-the-match performance in the resounding 5-0 victory, with further goals coming from Robert Ablewhite, Malachi Slaven and Lee Bruce.

Summer signing Wilson-Heyes was the Old Boys' tormentor in chief, producing some dazzling approach play from the wing.

He teed up Ablewhite for the opener on 10 minutes before notching his first goal of the game two minutes later.

Slaven increased Heys' lead at the start of the second half before Wilson-Heyes rifled home his second and Bruce headed in the fifth.

The winning margin could have been greater, with Heys hitting the woodwork twice, while Holker's goalkeeper James Molloy pulled off some fine saves.

Manager Jon Lyons was understandably pleased with the performance, but believes there is still more to come from his team.

“We looked strong in all departments," he said. "We are getting and will continue to get stronger week by week.

"It was great to see Rob Ablewhite and Lee Bruce on the mark. Neither have had a pre-season so are only going to get better.

“As for Rio, it was the best performance we have seen from him but I still think there is more to come.”

Heys were untouchable in the opening 30 minutes, with Wilson-Heyes the fulcrum as they pulled the visitors this way and that.

Jake Wood went close with a header before Molloy pulled off the first of several fine stops as he came out to smother an Ablewhite shot.

However, the Heys striker was not to be denied for long and quickly opened up his account for the club, steering in the ball at the far post after Wilson-Heyes had waltzed through the defence before rolling a pass across the face of goal.

Wilson-Heyes produced another slalom run two minutes later before this time finishing the job himself, lifting a shot over the advancing Holker goalkeeper.  

The hotshot winger almost produced a third goal for Heys in the 24th minute after his 20-yard chip came back off the bar.

Molloy then produced another stunning save five minutes later to keep out a Bruce header from a Wilson-Heyes cross.

Danny White then headed over before Molloy again kept out a Bruce header and Ablewhite's follow-up shot cannoned back off the bar.

Holker started to get back into the game at the end of the first half and Heys keeper Andrei Stinca had to be on his toes to keep out James Bonner's header.

But any hopes of a comeback were blown away after the break when Heys fired in two goals in four minutes.

Both were set up by White, who broke clear on 51 minutes before rolling the ball to Slaven for a tap-in, then repeated the favour for Wilson-Heyes to find the bottom corner with a sharp shot.

The home side capped off a comprehensive victory on 77 minutes when Bruce converted Max White's corner with a powerful header.

Heys travelled to Cheadle Town last night, after the Guide went to press, and have another two games this week, hosting AFC Blackpool on Saturday (3pm) before making the trip to Litherland REMYCA on Wednesday (7.45pm).

Heys Reserves had a mixed week, following an emphatic 4-0 win at home against AFC Monton with a narrow 2-1 defeat at Royton on Saturday. They are fifth in the Manchester League Premier Division ahead of Saturday's trip to Walshaw Sports (2pm).