PRESTWICH finished their Lancashire Amateur League Premier Division encounter feeling aggrieved they were denied a late equaliser which was ruled out for offside.

A Shaun Jackson penalty levelled Danny Spilman’s opener for Vics before Richard Steadman’s powerful header put the visitors in front.

But Horwich pegged Prestwich and levelled with a Ross Crompton lob, capitalising on sloppy play from Craig Howarth’s team.

Originally scheduled to be played at Horwich’s pitch at Bolton Arena, continuing problems with their landlord calling games off prompted a late change of venue to Newhouse Farm playing fields in Darcy Lever, Bolton.

Resorting to a more direct style of play, Prestwich were first to try their luck but Jackson’s scuffed shot bobbled back into play off the far post. Anthony Roberts sent a header over the bar from Martin Hill’s centre before the home side took the lead through Spilman’s header from a corner in the 18th minute.

Prestwich got back on terms four minutes later when an innocuous looking tussle in the box was punished with a penalty. Jackson slammed home the resulting spot kick. A curling cross from the left by Roberts evaded everybody before thumping the foot of the far post as Prestwich looked to take full advantage of their first-half dominance.

The turnaround was completed just after the half hour when skipper Richard Steadman ghosted in at the back post to head in Hill’s corner.

The lead did not last long as the home side went route one. A goal kick was headed on to Crompton, who lobbed the ball over the on-rushing Alex Blake.

Prestwich were masters of their own downfall after the restart as Spilman capitalised on a loose back pass before slotting the ball home The home side enjoyed the lion’s share of the play in the second half as they looked to turn the screw.

It was not until the introduction of sub and leading scorer Ashley Hoolighan that Prestwich threatened an equaliser. That should have come in the 70th minute when Hoolighan’s strike was ruled out for offside.

Collecting the ball out on the right, Roberts ventured into the box before pulling the ball back to the on-rushing Hoolighan who fired past the Vics keeper.

The home defenders appealed for offside and, much to the dismay of the men in blue, the assistant referee raised his flag. With the game entering the final moments, Prestwich continued to search for the goal that would give them a point.

Hoolighan’s header flew too high before his acrobatic volley, with what turned out to be the last kick of the game, went inches wide.

Prestwich will look to bounce straight back as they entertain Howe Bridge Mills at Heys Road on Saturday, kick-off 2pm.