PRESTWICH produced a superb second-half performance to come back from a goal down.

Goals from John Blezard and Anthony Roberts sent the home side back up to the summit of Division Two.

After the previous night’s freezing temperatures, there was some doubt if the morning sunshine would be enough to suitably thaw out the pitch before kick-off time at 2pm. After an inspection by the referee and consultation with both teams it was decided to go ahead and get the game played.

Fifth-placed Chaddertonians visited Heys Road on the back of three consecutive defeats. Their run of losses actually started at the hands of Lee Metcalfe’s men back in October as Prestwich ran out 4-0 winners at the Lancaster Club.

But the visitors started in determined mood and carved out the first real chance of the match as a free-kick was headed onto the top of Mike Hudson’s crossbar and bounced behind.

Prestwich striker Sean Haslam set Blezard free in the 18th minute but the pint-sized forward sent his effort across the face of goal and just inches past the far post.

Midfielder Joe Kosub looked to get on the scoresheet for his own team but saw his long-range shot tipped wide by the Chads keeper.

The visitors then went close in the 25th minute as an effort went wide before they got their advantage just 12 minutes later, capitalising on some slack defending from Prestwich to slot past Hudson.

After a rousing half-time pep-talk from assistant Steve Clarke, a revitalised Prestwich looked a different team as they set about getting back into the game.

Paul Taylor’s slide-rule pass out of defence set Blezard free and the striker produced a neat finish to notch past the advancing Chaddertonians keeper on 55 minutes.

Craig Howarth saw an effort well saved as the home side enjoyed a period of pressure that saw Chads penned back in their own half.

This pressure paid off in the 82nd minute as the excellent Anthony Roberts picked up substitute Paul McGovern’s pass and fired home from the edge of the box.

Prestwich saw out a nervy final few moments as Chaddertonians looked for a late equaliser, but survived without any major incidents to gain all three points and move back in to top spot, taking advantage of Hesketh’s win over Radcliffe Boys.

On Saturday, Prestwich visit Bolton Ambassadors as the league’s kick off times return to 2.30pm.

Prestwich Reserves suffered further misery as they went down 2-1 in a controversial game at Broughton Amateurs A. James Tyldesley’s 20th- minute strike was cancelled out just 15 minutes later. The home side then grabbed the winner midway through the second half.

Prestwich Sunday team’s scheduled game against Towler was again called off on Sunday morning due to a frozen Manchester Road pitch.