PRESTWICH FC braved Storm Desmond to take a point at fourth-placed Whitworth Valley.

The Hopwood Hall outfit secured a 2-2 draw to remain a point and one place below their opponents in Lancashire Amateur League Division One.

The game, which was played only because Whitworth had arranged to hire a 4G pitch, was subjected to driving rain and swirling winds throughout.

Despite the conditions both sides played good football and both did better playing against the wind.

Prestwich started much the better side and created chances right from the start.

A superb interchange of passes saw Sean Haslam go one-on-one with the keeper, who pulled off a tremendous save.

Minutes later Haslam again got behind the Whitworth defence only to fire over when he perhaps should have done better.

Whitworth had their fair share of possession but rarely troubled the Prestwich goal.

At the other end, Quentin Jacob, David Prieto and Haslam constantly threatened to break the deadlock and on 20 minutes a superb piece of play between the three forwards saw Prieto in on goal and expertly chip the on-rushing keeper.

Prestwich doubled their lead on 27 minutes when Sam Holden rose to power in a header from a corner that left the keeper no chance.

Further chances were created but not taken and in the final 10 minutes of the half Whitworth began to get a foothold in the game, culminating in the final seconds with an effort that Holden somehow cleared off the line.

The second half saw a reversal of fortunes as Whitworth began to dominate play and created chances of their own.

Mike Hudson made a superb save and the defence held firm against the rampaging Whitworth forwards. Prestwich were dealt a massive blow on 55 minutes when Holden, who had been outstanding, was forced to leave the field after taking an elbow to the face which raised fears of concussion.

After a reshuffle, Prestwich settled to the task of defending their lead.

It looked as though they would be breached after an ill-timed challenge by Richard Steadman saw them concede a penalty, but the resulting spot kick was skied over the bar.

Their lead did not last much longer as Whitworth pressure finally told with two quick-fire goals in the 71st and 72nd minutes.

Prestwich shuffled the pack again and despite further pressure they held firm as Hudson made another superb save to tip a rasping shot on to the bar and away to safety.

Prestwich retained the ball a little better in the closing 10 minutes and began probing forward.

They might have snatched an unlikely win when Dave Thompson fired in a vicious free kick that the Whitworth keeper just managed to tip round the post.

Overall the game was a credit to both sides and while Prestwich were perhaps fortunate in the second half to hang on for a point they could have been 5-0 up after half-an-hour so, on balance, a draw was a fair result.

Weather permitting, Prestwich host fourth-bottom Bolton Wyresdale on Saturday.