PRESTWICH Heys booked their place in the second round of the Lancashire Shield with a 4-2 penalty shootout victory at Collegiate Old Boys last Saturday.

The game ended 3-3 after a pulsating 90 minutes which saw Heys surrender a three-goal lead.

In a devastating opening salvo Heys’ young guns were again to the fore. Danny Eyres capped a lively start with the opening goal after just six minutes, following up after Greg Wills’ shot cannoned back off the bar.

Conor Landers increased their lead in the 19th minute volleying home from close range.

The home side created their first chance in the 25th minute and Heys keeper Lee Lambert had to be alert to save at the foot of the post from Tom Owens.

However, Heys then swept up the other end to score their third goal on the half hour.

Martin Love found Wills in space and, when the latter crossed, Erike Sousa nipped in to head home.

At that point, Heys looked home and hosed, but the Old Boys pulled two goals back before half time.

Their first goal came two minutes after the restart as Owens nipped in behind the Heys defence, and Francis Smith got the second from close range just before the break.

The second half started badly for Heys when striker Landers limped off following a heavy tackle.

Heys struggled to stem the momentum of the hosts who levelled through Mike Halliday in the 50th minute.

Halliday then headed against the bar as the visitors looked set to capitulate, but a number of changes from manager Jon Lyons stemmed the tide of chances.

At the other end, Heys had strong appeals for a penalty waved away after Brad Lyons fired in a shot that was blocked by a raised arm.

Both sides missed chances to win it in normal time before Heys goalkeeper Lee Lambert saved twice in the shootout and Phil Woodcock fired home the winning penalty.

Shaun Johnson, Martin Love and Greg Wills also scored spot kicks.

Heys will now travel to Morecambe outfit Slyne with Hest in the next round on October 5.

Saturday sees a return to league action and a trip to Wythenshawe Amateurs (2pm).

The reserves play their first home game of the season at Grimshaw Park against league leaders Rochdale Sacred Heart, kick off 2pm.

They won 4-1 at champions Springhead last weekend. Mark Powell, Mark Westhead, Jack Kershaw and Steve Charles were on the mark.