PRESTWICH Heys exited the Macron Cup on Tuesday night, losing a penalty shootout at Burscough after their 1-1 draw.

Alfie Belcher had put the visitors ahead on 25 minutes but Peter Henerty levelled 10 minutes befiore half time.

With no goals for either side in the second half the third-round tie was decided by penalties and it was Burscough who progressed, courtesy of an 8-7 win on spot-kicks.

The weather continued to thwart Heys last week as they suffered three more postponements.

Their scheduled trip to Atherton LR was postponed twice, first on the Tuesday night and then, after the clubs had arranged a new date, two days later.

With no let-up in the weather, Heys’ trip to Bacup Borough on Saturday was also called off, adding to an increasingly congested fixture list.

The Hallmark Security League have ruled out an extension to the season as the Football Association are undertaking a restructure of the non-league pyramid in the summer. All leagues have to be completed by May 5.

For Heys it means they face a minimum 21 games in 53 days.

Heys are back in cup action this weekend when they travel to Sandbach United for the first leg of the LWC Drinks First Division Cup semi-final, kick off 3pm.

The return leg will be at Adie Moran Park on April 7.

That tie has added to the fixture pile-up, forcing the cancellation of two Saturday matches.

This means when Heys welcome New Mills in the First Division fixture next Tuesday (March 20, 7.45pm) they will be playing their last 19 league games in 42 days, three of which have yet to be allocated dates.

In fact, Heys will be playing 12 games in 29 days in April.

Meanwhile, Prestwich continue to gather momentum in the Lancashire Amateur League Premier Division after their fourth straight win, 2-1 at Rossendale.

The wet 4G artificial surface made for a fast-paced game, littered with mistakes and over-hit passes.

Although Prestwich struggled to create anything meaningful in the final third their new signings, brothers Krzysztof and Stefan Rapacz, look likely to be huge assets in the remaining games.

And on the half hour a Stefan Rapacz cross from the left was headed into his own net by a retreating defender to give Prestwich the lead.

Buoyed by the goal, Prestwich scored a second minutes later. Rick Walker dispossessed a Rossendale defender wide on the left and cut inside to square the ball to Tito Miguel and he adjusted his body on the run superbly to rifle home from 10 yards.

Prestwich came close to a crucial third goal but after Darren Buckley split the defence with a pass Stefan Rapacz fired straight at the keeper in a one-on-one face-off.

Ten minutes into the second half Prestwich’s Sean Haslam handled a goalbound shot, and after he was dismissed for his misdemeanour Rossendale pulled a goal back from the ensuing penalty.

What followed was testimony to the spirit and determination within the Prestwich group as they repelled Rossendale’s all-out assault, not least two minutes from time when keeper Mike Hudson spread himself brilliantly to block after a Rossendale striker broke through on goal.