PRESTWICH FC's 10-game unbeaten run ended on Saturday with a 3-1 defeat at Failsworth Dynamos in the Lancashire Amateur League's First XI Cup, but only after a hotly disputed late penalty swung the tie in the Premier Division leaders' favour.

Mike Kosub's men, who are currently third in Division One, were just five minutes away from taking the first-round tie to penalties.

But after conceding from the spot Prestwich were picked off again in the final minute as they went in search of an equaliser.

The visitors set their stall out to stifle their lofty opponents, who have only lost one game all season, and use the skill and speed of Steve Murty and Sean Haslam on the counter-attack.

Failsworth enjoyed the bulk of possession in the opening exchanges but Prestwich's plan seemed to be working as the home side failed to penetrate their dogged rearguard action.

But that all came unstuck in the 17th minute when Failsworth took the lead. A mix-up between Prestwich goalkeeper Mike Hudson and centre-backs Paul Taylor and Richard Steadman fluff led to a long ball into the box only being partially cleared and a Failsworth forward deftly chipped all three of them for a clever finish.

Despite the disappointment, Prestwich dug and started to create chances of their own.

Haslam was desperately unlucky with a couple of individual efforts and put the ball on a plate for Murty to score, only for a Failsworth defender to get back to put in a last-ditch tackle.

Murty made amends on the hour with a great solo goal to equalise. He beat the offside trap to burst through on goal, leaving defenders in his wake on the halfway line before showing great composure to slot the ball past the onrushing keeper.

Prestwich had a couple more chances to take the lead before Failsworth really started to show their quality and came on very strongly in search for a winner.

The visiting defence stood firm until the 85th minute, when Hopkins failed to judge a corner and was penalised for a late challenge in the box.

Failsworth duly converted the resulting spot kick and as Prestwich poured forward in search of a last-minute equaliser they conceded again.

Prestwich will now turn their attention back to the league, hosting 10th-placed Bolton Wyresdale on Saturday as they bid to bridge the four-point gap to leaders Oldham Hulmeians with four games of the season remaining.