MAX White scored twice as Heys finally returned to action with a 5-0 win against Boothstown last Saturday.

After eight weeks without a game, Heys showed a few signs of rustiness early on but delivered moments of pure class as they maintained their unbeaten record in the Manchester League Premier Division and opened a three-point lead at the top of the table.

The game was switched to an all-weather surface at Eccles College in order to beat the weather and equal the club's record of nine straight postponements.

After such a long absence there were concerns if Heys would be able to pick up where they left off back in November, when they beat Boothstown 4-0 in the reverse fixture.

The home side carved out the first chance in the seventh minute, but Richard Chetcuti failed to connect properly with a near post cross with only Heys goalkeeper Rob Sadler to beat.

Heys finally got into their stride in the 10th minute when Dalton McLaughlin played in Greg Wills, whose shot was just wide.

Lee Bruce then struck the foot of the post for the visitors after being played in by Jamie Baguley.

However, the cobwebs had not quite been swept away as defensive confusion in the 20th minute left Heys exposed and it took a scrambling save from Sadler to keep out Rick Jones.

The overall momentum though was increasingly with Heys and in the 27th minute McLaughlin put them ahead with a stunning individual goal.

Collecting the ball some 25 yards out there seemed little danger but the midfielder set off on mazy run, gliding through the Boothstown defence, leaving defenders in his wake, before slotting home.

Heys doubled their advantage three minutes later. If the first goal was one of individual brilliance the second was a team effort but equally sublime.

From defending their own lines at a corner, Heys broke and four passes later, the last a delightful turn and cross-field ball from McLaughlin, Greg Wills delivered a deft chip over the keeper.

A swashbuckling run by Bruce saw his goal bound effort handled to give his side a penalty, which White tucked away in the 38th minute.

The half-time break did not dim Heys' influence and within three minutes of the restart they added to their total when White ghosted in undetected to slot home Paul Tierney's low driven corner.

Bruce had the ball in the net again moments later but was ruled offside.

That only served as a temporary reprieve for Boothstown as Bruce finished off another flowing move with a sharp low shot in the in the 57th minute to add Heys' fifth and final goal of the afternoon.

To their credit, the home side continued to fight and might have reduced the arrears in the closing stages with some steadier finishing.

However, Heys were good value for their win and they now prepare for the visit of sixth-placed AFC Monton to Adie Moran Park on Saturday, kick off 2pm.

Division Two leaders Heys Reserves were held to a 1-1 draw by third-placed Royton, with a Martin Love penalty preserving their unbeaten record. Results elsewhere ensured they extended their lead at the top to eight points. They are away at 11th-placed AFC Monton Reserves on Saturday, kick off 2pm.