PRESTWICH Heys extended their lead at the top of the Manchester League Premier Division to four points with an emphatic 5-0 win against Uppermill at Adie Moran Park.

The victory was every bit as comfortable as the scoreline suggests with Heys controlling the game from start to finish to remain unbeaten in the League after 10 games.

After their Lancashire Shield defeat at Royton seven days earlier Manager Jon Lyons commented in his programme notes how he expected a response from his players.

He didn’t have to wait long, just 30 seconds in fact, to get his answer as Heys opened the scoring through Erike Sousa.

A ball into the box picked out the Heys striker who quickly controlled and cut inside his marker before sliding the ball past Tom Bagshaw in the Uppermill goal.

The visitors arrived bottom of the table and still looking for their first win but a draw with Champions Stockport Georgians in their last outing underlined a recent improvement.

However, it was evidently clear that they were in for a long afternoon as Heys sprayed the ball about at pace. A great move down the right between Sousa and Darius Photiou saw the duo exchange passes before the latter saw his shot held by Bagshaw.

Uppermill carved out a good chance for themselves in the eighth minute as they worked the ball across the pitch to find Sam Bagshaw in space but he lifted his shot over.

It was to be a rare opportunity for the visitors whose task became more difficult in the 17th minute when Heys added a second.

In similar fashion to the first goal Sousa found space in the box and after seeing his initial shot saved by Bagshaw he reacted quickly to round the grounded keeper and slot home.

Three minutes later Heys scored a third goal. Dalton McLaughlin and Sousa combined to carve out an opening for Jamie Baguley who cut into the box and fire, with the aid of a deflection, a shot into the far corner.

Max White headed wide and Baguley saw a free kick parried as Heys continued to dictate matters.

To their credit Uppermill refused to throw in the towel and some good defence kept Heys at bay and when they were breached Bagshaw was in fine form as he pulled off a super save after an outrageous turn and shot from 25 yards by White on the stroke of half time.

The pattern of the game continued into the second half as new signing Wes Bancroft, fired over in the opening minutes.

Jon Stephenson replaced Baguley in the 55th minute and made an instant impact. After seeing Bagshaw thwart him at close range with his first touch the substitute found the back of the net with his next as he broke into the box, teeing the ball up for himself, to rifle a shot home.

Paul Tierney headed wide and Bancroft saw a shot tipped over as Heys continued to press before the visitors were reduced to ten men in the 65th minute when Lee Rainford was dismissed for kicking out at McLaughlin.

Stephenson was denied by a fine double save from Bagshaw who then again tipped over from Bancroft before the scoring was completed five minutes from time.

McLaughlin, who had tormented Uppermill all afternoon, delivered the coup de grace with a super side step to open up the defence promptly followed by a superb curling shot from 25 yards.

Heys are at home again on Saturday when they host Boothstown in a re-arranged fixture (2pm), while the reserves travel to Royton Town on Saturday (3.15pm).