AN 83RD minute Jamie Baguley strike sealed an impressive 2-1 win for Prestwich Heys at Euxton Villa in the Lancashire Shield on Saturday.

The victory over the West Lancashire League Premier Division side takes Jon Lyons’ team into the last 16 of the competition whilst maintaining their unbeaten start to the season.

They had to work hard for the win against a strong Euxton side in a game that seemed to be heading for a goalless draw.

Although both sides had their moments the deadlock didn’t look like being broken until Heys opened the scoring in the 77th minute, sparking a dramatic spell of three goals in six minutes.

Heys held the upper hand in the first half on the back of some sparkling football and will reflect they should have led at the interval.

After a tight and highly competitive opening, Heys settled into their passing rhythm to stretch the hosts.

Forcing a succession of corners a home defender almost gave Heys the lead with a clearing header that flew over the bar.

Baguley and Erike Sousa both tried their luck from distance but it was not until the 25th minute that Heys carved out a clear opening.

A strong run from Darius Photiou ended with him playing in Lee Bruce but the Heys striker pulled his shot wide of the post. Moments later Sousa had the ball in the net but it was ruled offside.

Having been on the back foot for long spells Euxton finished the half strongly and it took a goal-line clearance from Brad Lyons and a fingertip save from Rob Sadler to keep them out.

It was a momentum they took into the second half.

Ash Ball ran at the heart of Heys defence but shot wide before Sadler saved at the foot of the post from Danny Hutton.

Heys somehow survived an almighty scramble in the box on the hour that ended with Sam Bolton firing wide before Sadler again had to be alert to deny Ball.

There was still a threat from Heys when they broke and John Blackley flashed a header agonisingly wide after good work by Baguley.

The impressive Max White then tested Villa keeper Shaun Gibbs as Heys gained momentum.

In the 77th minute they got their reward when they took the lead. A White free kick came off the bar, however and Lee Bruce followed up to bundle the ball home.

Heys joy was shortlived though as two minutes later the hosts levelled courtesy of a super finish by Ball who curled a shot into the top corner.

The hosts sensed their moment had come but a developing theme of the season has been Heys’ ability to respond quickly to setbacks and they did so again seven minutes from time.

As Euxton struggled to clear their lines the ball broke to Baguley some 20 yards out and he finished with a clinical low drive to give Heys victory.

Heys return to league action on Saturday when they face Old Alts at Adie Moran Park, 2pm.

n Heys Reserves are three points clear at the top following a 2-0 home win against Gregorians. Chris Quirk and Abid Uddin were the scorers. They travel to East Manchester on Saturday.