TWO George Powell penalties gave Heys a comfortable 2-0 victory at Uppermill in the Gilgryst Cup 1st round.

In an often drab game that was punctuated by stoppages, Heys never came near the hitting the levels they are capable of but were full value for the win.

The hosts defended in numbers and largely nullified Heys attack but, although they had some opportunities, they never looked capable of inflicting a 1st defeat of the season on Jon Lyons’ team.

On a glorious late summers afternoon Heys pressed and probed from the start but found it difficult to find any clear openings as the hosts pulled everyone back behind the ball.

Despite their territorial dominance, Heys play largely lacked zest and perhaps suffered from some over-elaboration and it was to be Uppermill who created the first opening.

A long ball caught Heys out and Darren Scanlon was presented with a clear sight of goal but sliced his shot wide.

The scare seemed to inject extra impetus into Heys play and Lee Bruce got clear only for his shot to be smothered by home ’keeper Thomas Bagshaw.

The hosts responded however and Paul Hinchy was forced to drop low to keep out a Gerrard Forde shot.

However, the increased ambition of the home side was also giving Heys extra opportunities and Bruce was denied by Bagshaw and then thwarted by a last ditch defensive block as he looked to seize on the rebound.

Heys opened the second half having visibly stepped up a gear and they rewarded in the 50th minute with the lead.

As Uppermill struggled to clear Jamie Baguley was brought down and the referee immediately pointed to the spot.

However, controversy followed as the linesman had flagged for offside but after lengthy consultation the penalty decision stood and George Powell slotted low to the left.

The goal led to a much more open game as with Uppermill pushing more players forward, Heys looked to pick their hosts off on the break.

However, chances for both sides proved few and far between. Baguley and Max White both shot over from promising situations for Heys whilst Uppermill were restricted to some speculative long shots that did little to trouble Hinchy.

Any hopes the hosts held though were finally extinguished ten minutes from time when Heys were awarded a second penalty. Greg Wills was unceremoniously upended as he burst into the box and from the resultant spot kick Powell made no mistake.

Heys return to league action on Saturday with a tough trip to sixth placed Dukinfield Town (2pm).

Steve Charles scored a hat-trick as the Reserves beat East Manchester 5-0 in the Open Trophy. Jon Stephenson added the other. The Reserves host Dukinfield at Adie Moran Park on Saturday (2pm)