PRESTWICH Heys progressed into the second round of the Lancashire Shield with a hard-earned win over Manchester League rivals Hindsford at Adie Moran Park on Saturday

These two sides have won six of the last nine Premier Division titles between them, three each, and went into the game unbeaten so far this season.

It was always going to be a tight affair and so it proved as Heys survived a difficult opening half hour to emerge winners thanks to goals from Paul Tierney and Shaun Johnson.

The opening ten minutes saw Heys in full flow as they scarcely gave Hindsford a kick but when the visitors did finally gain some meaningful possession they proved dangerous.

Paul Hinchy twice had to be on his toes to keep out a Tom Valentine shot and then dive at the feet of Chris Hopwood as he bore down on goal.

Indeed after their fluent opening Heys found themselves penned back and stretched as Hindsford pushed forward.

It took a great goal line clearance by George Powell and the inside of the post to deny Hopwood and keep Heys level in the 20th minute.

The chances continued to come for Hindsford with Hinchy again denying Hopwood and then Ahmed Sulay headed across the face of goal from close range.

It wasn’t until the 35th minute that the hosts carved out a chance of note as Matt Boland shot over from the edge of the area.

The opening proved a catalyst for a better spell for Heys as Boland flicked a header over from a Paul Tierney cross and then Lee Bruce just cleared the bar with a shot on the turn.

The visitors failure to capitalise on their earlier dominance came back to haunt them on the stroke of half time as Heys took the lead. Max White got in behind the defence and when he shot hard and low his shot was parried by Matthew Ince. Tierney was quickly onto the ball but still had much to do, as with defenders scurrying to cover, he fired into the roof of the net from an acute angle.

Heys started the second half in lively fashion. Powell and Tierney combined to create an opening for Bruce but his shot was saved by the legs of Ince.

White then released Bruce into space but the Heys striker’s chip over the keeper landed on the roof of the net.

Jack Valentine fired a vicious long range effort, that had Hinchy scurrying, into the side netting midway through the half but by and large Heys were keeping Hindsford at arm’s length.

However, it was not until the 76th minute that they could begin to breathe more easily as they grabbed the important second goal.

A free kick by White, driven into the box, caused confusion and as the ball broke Johnson was on hand to poke the ball home from close range.

If Heys thought it was game over though they were mistaken as with four minutes left Jack Valentine got into space to drill a low shot past Hinchy.

With five minutes added time there were a few nerves jangling but Heys saw it through to remain unbeaten.

Heys turn to their attentions to the Gilgyrst Cup on Saturday when they travel to Uppermill for the first round tie, kick off 2pm.

The Reserves are top of Division Two after a 2-1 win at Hindsford. Luke Hodson and Liam Dunn the scorers. On Saturday, they host East Manchester in the Open Trophy first round, kick off 2pm.