PRESTWICH Heys maintained their unbeaten start to the Manchester League Premier Division season with a 2-0 win at Uppermill.

Goals from Lee Bruce and Greg Wills gave Jon Lyons’s team victory that moved them up to second in the fledgling Premier Division table behind early pacesetters Hindsford.

This was not Heys most fluent performance of the season. Indeed, at times they looked lethargic. However, they succeeded in keeping their hosts largely at arm’s length and there was sense that they always had extra gears to go though if needed.

In short they did enough to win and in doing so reached an eleven point tally from their first five games- a total it took until mid-October and eight games to achieve last season.

On a superb playing surface, Heys put together some good early passing movements.

However, much of their play lacked pace and purpose and after being caught in possession they almost let Uppermill in after 10 minutes. Fortunately, home striker Tom Dunn’s effort from the edge of the area lacked direction.

Heys did however take the lead in the 15th minute. A ball into the box found Wills who battled for possession before playing in Bruce. The Heys striker made no mistake – rifling a powerful shot into the roof of the net.

Hopes Heys may kick on from there proved unfounded. Some untidy play continued to give the home side encouragement. Fortunately, they were not accepting of the opportunities that came their way. Sam Bagshaw shot over from close range and a free header was totally missed.

A Tom Dunn effort from 25 yards out whistled past the post on the hour which seemed to lift Heys and they should have added to their lead in the 35th minute. A great pass by Dalton McLaughlin released Wills but his shot was straight at ‘keeper Tom Bagshaw.

Half time seemed to inject extra urgency into Heys play and within five minutes Max White saw a shot parried by Bagshaw with Love firing wide from the rebound.

With their passing quicker and crisper, openings began to appear. With the home defence increasingly stretched a free kick was conceded on the edge of the area from which White saw his shot superbly tipped over by Bagshaw.

With Uppermill offering little in attack Heys were comfortable but they still were in need of another goal to give them some breathing space.

That came in the 70th minute. Love was persistent down the left and when he crossed into the goalmouth Wills was on hand to smash a sumptuous volley into the roof of the net.

Heys might have added to their tally in the closing stages. Bagshaw won his battle with White again with another fingertip save from a free kick whilst Liam Dunn headed over.

Baguley shot wide, much to his frustration, in the last minute. It had been that kind of afternoon for Heys but an ultimately rewarding one. They got what they came for – three points.

On Saturday, Heys host local rivals Walshaw at Adie Moran Park 2pm.

n An 80th minute Martin Love penalty earned Heys a point as they drew 2-2 with Royton Town in a classic encounter at Adie Moran Park on Tuesday. John Blackley had cancelled out a first half goal from Royton early in the second period.