A LATE Martin Love goal gave Prestwich Heys a magnificent 1-0 victory over FC United of Manchester at Adie Moran Park last Wednesday night.

In a tight contest. Love popped up in the 87th minute to slot home from close range after a Dalton McLaughlin shot had come back off the post.

In truth, Heys probably just deserved the win. Although FC enjoyed greater possession the better chances came Heys way with McLaughlin and Jamie Baguley both hitting the woodwork in the first half.

The opening quarter saw FC camp in Heys half but they found it hard to break down a well organised, resilient defence.

Indeed the first chance came Heys way but Greg Wills shot was pushed to safety by the 'keeper.

The visitors responded immediately and a good cross from the right saw Mike Norton jump with Heys keeper Rob Sadler who spilled it to Williams on the left edge of the area whose fierce effort smashed against the bottom of the post and away to safety.

It then took a goal line clearance from John Blackley and a fine close range save by Rob Sadler to deny Norton.

However, Heys rallied to finish the half strongly, Dalton McLaughlin turned and curled a cracking 25 yard effort onto the post with United keeper King well beaten.

Just before the break, a scramble in the box ensued and when the ball fell to Baguley, on the corner of the six yard box, his shot thundered off the underside of the crossbar.

The second half proved an even tighter affair. Both teams pressed and probed but openings were at a premium.

The first real chance did come until ten minutes from time with Sadler making another fine save one on one with Norton.

Indeed, it looked as if FC were going to force the winner in the closing stages as Heys showed signs of tiredness but some determined defence kept the Conference North side at bay.

Then came the dramatic finish with the long serving Love capping a great night for the club, in front of a crowd of 500.

Heys were brought back down to earth as they suffered a 4-2 friendly defeat at West Lancashire League 1st Division Tempest United on Saturday.

After the euphoria of the win over FC United, Heys looked to be suffering a king sized hangover, particularly in a second half dominated by the hosts.

The first half ended all square at 2-2. Whilst overall probably a fair reflection, Tempest created the more chances and it was largely thanks to the opportunism of Tierney that Heys went in level.

Indeed, Heys scored with arguably their first move of note in the 13th minute. A superb pass by Dalton McLaughlin unlocked the home defence and Tierney beat the oncoming 'keeper with a deft chip.

Chris Quirke went close as Heys looked to be settling into their stride but on the half hour Tempest levelled when after a fine save by Rob Sadler, home striker Steve Barlow followed up to seize on the loose ball and slot home.

Sadler was unlucky again five minutes later as Tempest went ahead. The Heys keeper was left exposed as he faced Andy Farmouth one on one but did well to block his shot. Unfortunately the ball sprang straight back to the Tempest man to slot home.

Within four minutes Heys were level. A great near post cross by Greg Wills was met by Tierney who brilliantly guided the ball into the net from an acute angle.

Heys manager Jon Lyons rang the changes at half time but in truth his side never got going in the second period.

Second best in all areas Heys were largely outplayed by the hosts and it appeared as if their recent exertions had caught up with them. They appeared to have little in the tank to match the energy and appetite of the home side.

Two great finishes from Elliott Harewood in the 67th and 75th minutes were to prove Heys undoing and they could have few complaints about the outcome.

Heys Reserves has a much better day as they ran riot at Breightmet United in the Atherton Charity Cup, winning 6-0.

Ryan Cain led the way with a second half hat-trick whilst Ryan McGreevy (two) and Brandon Jolly completed the scoring.

Saturday sees Heys face near neighbours Radcliffe Borough in a friendly at Adie Moran Park, kick off 3pm. The first time the teams have met in over 20 years.