SEDGLEY Tigers finished the season in fine style, ending the unbeaten home record of National Two North champions Caldy with a last-gasp victory.

A crowd of former Caldy players had gathered to celebrate their title, but the Park Lane men had not read the script.

Geoff Roberts' side, who inflicted the champions' only other defeat of the season in the reverse fixture, were pegged back after storming into an early lead and were trailing with 10 minutes to go before Andy Riley ran the ball over for what turned out to be a match-winning try.

In a dramatic final twist, Stuart Cross responded with a try three minutes from time to pull the hosts back to within a point but Gavin Roberts missed the conversion.

Sedgley's thrilling 35-34 victory provided a morale-boosting end to another decent season.

But Roberts admits the campaign was tinged with disappointment after they finished in fourth place following a dip in form at the start of the year that saw their title chances fade.

"We were up there before Christmas but, for one reason or another, just lost that edge after the turn of the year," he said.

"There are some areas that we have got to look at.

"We are vulnerable in games when we pick up yellow cards and have had too many this season - more than Caldy, (second-placed) Sale and Chester (who finished fifth) combined.

"We have got to address that discipline problem.

"Also, to win leagues you have got to take the points when they are on offer.

"We have opted to go for tries at times rather than kick for points.

"If we can tighten up in those areas and bring a more clinical edge to our game then I feel we have the players to compete for honours at this level."

Sedgley actually lost fewer games this year than last, when they finished second but missed out on promotion after losing a play-off at National Two South side Old Albanians.

Roberts added: "When you look at the table, it was three draws that did for us. We also lost by a point at Sale and by two points at Leicester Lions (who beat us to third place by three points).

"We have been there or thereabouts, and could easily have put pressure on Caldy for the title if things had gone our way, so I would still class it as a good season."

Saturday's win at Caldy was indicative of their season.

They opened up a 21-5 lead inside the opening 30 minutes following two converted tries from Ben Black and one from Andy Riley.

But the hosts clawed their way back into the game after Tom Bedlow was shown a yellow card and sent to the sin-bin.

They scored two tries either side of half time and while a converted try from Adam Cheshire put Sedgley 11 points in front they remained vulnerable.

Two more tries for Caldy saw them get their noses in front for the first time in the game on 69 minutes, but two missed conversion attempts from their final two tries proved the difference as Sedgley's sharpshooter Steve Collins kicked five from five.

"It was a hell of a game to finish the season," said Roberts.

"I didn't really expect it somehow because there was a party atmosphere and nothing was riding on the game.

"But both teams played some fantastic running rugby and really went for it, which was great to see – really exciting stuff.

"It was a great game of rugby and finished the season off nicely."