A MUM has welcomed the jailing of a rogue plumber whose botched job left her fearing for her safety.

Leanne Clements is now urging everyone to check plumbers' Gas Safe registration before allowing work to be carried out.

Aaron Davidson was jailed for 16 months after pleading guilty to breaching section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and Regulations 3(3) and 3(7) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Davidson installed a boiler at Leanne's home in Rupert Street, Radcliffe, in 2018.

Prestwich and Whitefield Guide:

The 33-year-old said: "When he installed it you could see pipes everywhere, there was no hot water or heating.

"I was worried, I didn't know what state he had left the boiler in, so much so my landlady brought round a carbon monoxide monitor, she has been really lovely through this whole thing.

"I have a son which heightened my worries. And because of his work we did not have hot water or heating during the really cold snap, someone else had to be brought in to carry out the repairs so it could be used.

"I found out later that he had entered a made-up Gas Safety registration, I know I should have checked but until the manufacturer came round I didn't know how to.

"I contacted the Health and Safety Executive because I didn't want him to do this to somebody else.

"It has been a really anxious time, with the boiler, not knowing what state it was in.

"Then I was told I may have to go to court as a witness, and I had to make statements - but it was it worth for this outcome."

Judge Martin Walsh, sitting at Bolton Crown Court, heard that self-employed Davidson had installed boilers at two properties in Bolton and Radcliffe in January and March 2018 through his company AD Plumbing Solutions, whilst falsely claiming to be Gas Safe registered.

The hearing was told the work at the home in Rupert Street saw Davidson enter a false Gas Safe registration number on paperwork, before refusing to rectify a number of faults.

Gas Safe Inspectors visited both properties and found the work to be of a poor standard, classing it at Bury as “Not to Current Standards”, and at Bolton, “At Risk”, due to the danger to life from the possible escape of carbon monoxide and risk of electrocution.

Prestwich and Whitefield Guide:

(Howard Pollitt and wife Elaine)

Couple Howard Pollitt, 72, and his 69-year-old wife Elaine, from Westhoughton, Bolton, also spoke of their relief at the outcome of the case.

He installed the boiler on January 17, 2018 but soon afterwards Mr Pollitt noticed a leak coming through the bathroom ceiling which eventually collapsed.

Mrs Pollitt said: “We would never let anyone we didn’t know into our house, but he’d been recommended to us.

“He could have killed us, and if he was still working he probably would have seriously hurt or killed someone by now.”

Elizabeth Dudley-Jones, prosecuting, said an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), found that Davidson, of Bury Road, Bolton, had never been Gas Safe registered and was not qualified or competent to undertake gas work.

Davidson, 26, also pleaded guilty to a breach of a suspended sentence order.

Kevin Liston, defending, read out a number of testimonials and references in favour of Davidson.

Mr Liston said: “He (Davidson) is a capable and competent plumber and he has now come to his senses and changed his attitude and business practices.

“He embarked on a reckless and dangerous course of activity but he has now learnt several lessons.”

Sentencing Davidson to 16 months imprisonment in addition to 16 weeks for the breach , Judge Martin Walsh, said: “If this work is not done correctly and to a high standard, the dangers are of the gravest kind.

“You have shown an inclination to disregard the rights and safety of others and have put the lives of others at risk.”

HSE Inspector Jane Carroll said after the hearing: “Aaron Davidson undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do. All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”