A man narrowly escaped a fire in a Whitefield ground floor flat in the early hours of this morning.

Fire crews were called to the incident in Ripon Close after concerned neighbours sounded the alarm.

The fire started in a wheelie bin and spread into the flat, affecting the front porch and living room. Fortunately the resident escaped and no one else was injured during the incident.

The blaze was put out within an hour as fire crews got there before it could spread further.

The fire service urges people to make sure they have working smoke alarms.

Watch manager Kay said: "We attended an incident involving a wheelie bin fire in Ripon close which spread into a ground floor flat.

"It affected the living room of the flat and the front porch. By the time crews arrived an adult male had self-rescued himself.

"The fire service quickly intervened and there were no injuries. Three fire crews attended in the early hours of the morning and we were there for about an hour. Luckily we caught it early on.

"Please ensure you've got working smoke alarms. This man didn't and we were only alerted thanks to a neighbour."