A FIRE broke out in the bathroom of a flat late last night.

Fire crews responded to the fire in Walmersley Road at about 11pm on Wednesday, October 17.

Initially it was feared a man was trapped in the building and three fire engines were sent to the scene.

However watch manager Steve Wilcock described it as a "small fire" and most of the damage was due to the smokelogged state of the flat.

The crew were there around 25 minutes dealing with the fire and clearing the flat of smoke using their fans.

One man was arrested at the scene.