TWO men arrested in Whitefield under the Terrorism Act will be detained for an extended period of time for questioning by police.

The men, aged 23 and 24, were arrested at an address in Victoria Avenue on suspicion of being involved in the commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism.

Greater Manchester Police acquired authorisation from the Magistrates' Court for a warrant of further detention which will expire on Monday, June 11.

Police attended the property, in Victoria Avenue, at 11.24am after receiving a report of suspicious items at the house

Officers attended and following an initial assessment, two men – both in their 20s - were arrested. They are being interviewed by counter terrorism detectives.

Bomb disposal officers attended the house to make assessments, and Victoria Avenue, as well as a number of surrounding streets, were taped off all afternoon.

They have since left the scene and no explosive materials have so far been found.

The cordon has now been reduced, however, the scene is being retained as crime scenes for further examinations by detectives and forensic officers.

An eyewitness who lives in the street said: "I was on my bike and saw a police car and wondered what was going.

"Then a police van turned up and they said we had to go 20 metres away. I saw them bring two guys out."

Another resident, Sarah Carroll, who lives in Victoria Avenue, was picking her children up from nearby Whitefield Community Primary School when the police arrived.

She said: "I was picking them up early and as I came back out, the police said I could not get back out.

"I was eventually let out of the other side of the school. When I got home I was told to pick some stuff up and go.

"It's a bit close to home. It's a bit like Coronation Street."

Whitefield Community Primary School was in lockdown earlier in the afternoon, with staff and pupils told to stay on site.

Parents were contacted and asked to collect their children at the Lancaster Road entrance at the usual time.

The school is not involved in the incident.

Superintendent Rick Jackson, from GMP’s Bury borough, said: “We have to take all reports of this nature extremely seriously and always at the forefront of our mind is making sure our communities are safe.

“The examinations will continue into this evening and any updates will be shared as soon as we are able to.

“We have to keep a cordon in place solely as a precaution for those living in the immediate area and we will continue to work with partners to support those affected.

“We are keeping an open mind in relation to this incident but in these circumstances we know the public would expect us to be thorough with our enquiries.

 “I want to reassure people that we have specialist detectives investigating this report to establish the full facts.

 “There will be lots of officers in the area and if you have any concerns then please speak to them and they will try and assist in any way they can.”

Anyone who has been evacuated from inside the cordon, and is struggling to find accommodation support, should contact 0161 253 6606.