GREATER Manchester Fire and Rescue Service are warning the borough's Jewish community to stay safe ahead of this year's Pesach celebrations.

The organisation is also offering advice to ensure people remain free from harm when celebrations commence on Friday March 30.

The warning follows an incident in Salford on March 24 when a family were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide after leaving a large metal blech plate on a burning gas hob overnight.

GMFRS Area Manager Ben Levy said: “Pesach is joyful time, a time for celebration and family gathering, however this incident is a timely reminder to our communities about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

"It is particularly important to ensure that gas flames are not hindered, otherwise carbon monoxide poisoning becomes a real threat to families in their home.

“We would encourage our communities to take care with electrical appliances particularly at this time of year and would urge people not use any appliance such as a hotplate or water heater which has any signs of damage to the cable.”

Carbon monoxide can cause death in extreme circumstance, as well as flu like symptoms including headaches, dizziness and nausea.

Those experiencing symptoms should immediately go for fresh air, opening doors and windows, and turning off gas appliances.

You should then seek a doctor or hospital and tell them you may have carbon monoxide poisoning.

People are also warned to take care with candles, after a Prestwich family had a lucky escape during Chanukah when a house fire was started by candles, causing significant damage.

Mr Levy said: “When using candles please ensure they are placed in a sturdy holder away from flammable materials and never leave them unattended, and take extra care if using candles to search for chametz. "When leaving the house or going to bed close internal doors and make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your property.

“We wish our Jewish community ‘Chag Sameach’, a safe and happy Pesach.”

For further advice visit

GMFRS are also offering Safe and Well Visits, to book call 0800 555 815.