By David Pye
YOUNG Prestwich boxer Ben Mulligan admits he is devastated after his professional debut was shelved just days before the fight this weekend.
The 21-year-old revealed on Monday night the Francis Warren show at the Victoria Warehouse near to Old Trafford football ground had been cancelled.
Mulligan had been pencilled in to make his debut on the bill alongside Bolton-based heavyweight Hughie Fury.
But he will now have to wait to make his ring bow as a professional with September likely to be the earliest opportunity.
Mulligan, of Walker Avenue, is hugely disappointed after building up to his first big fight for months.
He said: “I can’t describe how devastated I am.
“I put a lot of work into this fight and just don’t know what to say.
“It’s totally out of my hands but I’m gutted.
“I hope this never happens again in my career – it’s a horrible situation for me.
“I am looking at September now as the boxing season ends soon.”
Mulligan has been boxing since the age of 12 and had spoken of his excitement at turning professional after a successful amateur career.
He is trained by former British and European champion Pat Barrett and had high hopes for his debut.
And the light-welterweight says he is also disappointed for friends and family who had bought tickets.
He stressed, though, everyone will be refunded.
Mulligan added: “I can’t thank enough the people who had spent hard-earned money to come and support me – I’m gutted to let them down as well.
“I will be refunding everyone personally.”
* A planned post-fight party at Mulligan’s sponsors, The White Room, in Whitefield will still take place and anyone wanting a refund can see him at the bar on Saturday night.