PRESTWICH Heys' winning start to the pre-season ended this week with defeat to Trafford and a draw against Irlam at Adie Moran Park.

There were plenty of positives for manager Jon Lyons to take from the performances, however, as his players stood up well to the test from teams that both play at a higher level.

Trafford, who play in Evo-Stik North, ran out emphatic 7-0 winners when the two sides met in the cup last season, but they were made to work a lot harder for their 3-1 victory this time round.

The score was 1-1 at the break, with Heys fighting back well after Ash Woods had put the visitors in front from close range on two minutes.

Heys equalised on 29 minutes after good play down the left saw Danny White get in behind the defence and when he crossed low Dylan Moth showed great composure before slotting home.

There remained little to choose between the sides going into the interval, from which Heys emerged in a change of shirts and personnel.

It was Trafford who seized the initiative and they took the lead in the 53rd minute when James Dean released Woods who thrashed the ball into the top corner from 10 yards.

The goal was probably missed by many in the crowd, distracted as a Chinook helicopter flew low over the ground.

Trafford were playing with greater intensity and as changes continued apace from the Heys bench the home side were unable to regain a foothold in the game.

The visitors extended their lead in the 70th minute when Sean Yeldrem tapped home from close range and Trafford missed a few late chances to add to their total.

Heys bounced back on Saturday with a creditable 2-2 draw against an Irlam side that finished eighth in the Hallmark Security League Premier Division last season.

Lyons' men made the perfect start, going ahead after just two minutes when Rio Winston-Heys burst into the box and crossed for Shaun Johnson to head home at the far post.

Chances were few and far between in what became a midfield battle before Irlam levelled in the 38th minute.

The visitors were awarded a free kick on the edge of Heys' six-yard box following a back pass, and despite having every player on the goal line Heys were powerless to stop Steve Mills rifling the ball into the roof of the net.

Heys opened the second period at lightning pace and regained the lead within two minutes of the restart.

Irlam failed to deal with a cross and Jake Wood picked his spot to head home.

The visitors held firm as Heys pressed for a third goal and eventually levelled again in the 58th minute when Tom Kinsella fired the ball through a mass of bodies following a corner.

Heys have two further home games this week, hosting neighbours Radcliffe FC on Saturday (3pm) before Wythenshawe Amateurs visit next Tuesday (7.30pm).