LEE Bruce struck twice as Heys roared back to winning ways with a 3-1 win at league leaders Whitchurch Alport.

After successive defeats and poor performances at Silsden and Oswestry, Jon Lyons' team hit top form to record an impressive victory built upon strong defence and some potent attacking play.

It proved too much for a Whitchurch side that had blazed an impressive, free-scoring trail this season to set the pace at the top of Hallmark Security League Division One.

Their fast, attacking style stretched Heys in the opening stages, but it was the visitors who had the best chance of the early exchanges. There was not even a minute on the clock with Paul Tierney's shot was well saved by home stopper Daniel Read at the foot of his post.

But the greater threat came from the hosts.

Simon Everall found space to get in a shot that Heys' debutant keeper Andrei Stinca got down well to push away.

Everall and Whitchurch team-mate Mark Blundell both then fired over from good positions.

Heys also pressed when they had the chance and forced a flurry of corners, but it was from such set piece that they fell behind in the 19th minute.

As Alport cleared their lines defence was quickly turned into attack and Blundell went through to slot his shot low past the advancing Stinca.

The response from Heys was spectacular and they were level within a minute.

Danny White cut in from the left and from 25 yards let fly with a stunning shot into the far top corner.

Heys' fortunes had gone full circle by the 26th minute when Brad Lyons seized possession before playing in Bruce with a superb diagonal pass in behind the defence before the Heys striker rifled a low shot under Read.

Bruce was in commanding form as his strength and movement repeatedly gave Heys an outlet.

They almost doubled their advantage in the 39th minute when a Tierney cross caused problems and, as the ball bobbled in the area, White flicked goalwards and it took a goal-line clearance from Eliot Ledwards to save the day for the home side.

The final chance of an entertaining half went Alport’s way as Steven McNichol tried his look with a chip over Stinca but the Heys keeper responded well to hold the ball under the bar.

The hosts were out early for the second half eager to get at Heys but within two minutes it was Prestwich celebrating again as they added a third. 

Some good pressing from Heys forced Alport to concede possession deep in their own half and when White crossed Bruce controlled with his chest before slotting home from close range.

Alport looked to hit back and Stinca pushed away a Blundell free kick in the 50th minute then had to rush from his line to make a headed clearance moments later.

They proved to be isolated moments of danger, while Heys remained a threat on the break.

Brian Matthews got in behind the Alport defence to pick out White but his low shot was well saved by Ready, who thwarted the Heys midfielder again in the 75th minute after great play between Bruce and Tierney.

White was also denied again by a goal-line clearance before the end as Heys moved to an impressive and deserved victory

The welcome three points moved Heys up to eighth place in the table, 13 points outside the play-offs with three games in hand of sixth-placed Sandbach United.    

Lyons' men will look to build on their win when they travel to Holker Old Boys on Saturday, kick off 3pm, before visiting Litherland REMYCA, who replaced Whitchurch at the top, next Wednesday (7.45pm).

Heys Reserves, meanwhile, came from two goals down to draw 2-2 at home to Manchester Central. They host league leaders Heyside on Saturday (2pm).