GOALS from the Baguley brothers – Jamie and Chris – ensured Prestwich Heys fine run of form continued over the festive period with a 3-0 win at home to St Helens Town on Friday.

Jon Lyons' men ended 2016 with a third straight win and second straight clean sheet to reach the halfway point of their long-awaited return to the Hallmark Security League First Division in seventh, seven points outside the play-off places with two games in hand of sixth-placed Sandbach United.

Jamie Baguley got the ball rolling with a 31st-minute header before his brother Chris followed up with a superb brace on his first-team debut.

It took a while for Heys to get going, with the visitors the sharper side in the opening 15 minutes, and it took a great save at point-blank range by Heys stopper Kallum Campbell-Rose to keep out a Luke Edwards shot.

Moments later, the keeper combined with Ash Reece to thwart Andy Gillespie as he bore down on goal.

With Brad Lyons prompting from midfield, Heys eventually hit their stride and looked to have found a breakthrough in the 29th minute when Chris Baguley’s free kick broke to his brother, but after Jamie's initial shot was blocked he lost his footing and could not recover to force home the rebound.

He made amends two minutes, however, scoring the opener with a deft header.

Chris Baguley doubled Heys' lead in the 36th minute with a glorious free kick that sailed into the top corner.

Town keeper Adam Fairchild then reacted well to palm away a deflected Lee Bruce shot while Heys' Shaun Johnson had an effort hooked off the line.

The visitors did well to restrict the flow of home attacks in the second half, while Campbell-Rose pulled off a superb low save to claw away a Gillespie shot in the 65th minute.

Seven minutes later, Heys made the game safe in spectacular fashion. After working a one two with Ryan Ayres, Chris Baguley let fly with a stunning shot from the corner of the penalty box that flew in off the inside of the far post. 

Heys' second-half substitute James Hampson picked up a second yellow card 10 minutes from time, but there was no way back for the visitors.

The first team begin the new year with a trip over the Pennines to face Silsden on Saturday, kick off 3pm, while the reserves have a friendly at Breightmet United (2pm).