FREE-SCORING Prestwich Heys continued their prolific form with a 6-0 hammering of Atherton LR at Adie Moran Park on Boxing Day.

After putting five past FC Oswestry in their last completed match and scoring another five against Ashton Town before their game was abandoned, they went one better against struggling LR.

Jon Lyons’ team controlled the game from start to finish on the back of some fine football but also plenty of industry as their pressing game made it difficult for the visitors to establish a foothold in the game.

With six different scorers it was very much a team effort with some fine individual performances across the park but it was new signing Lee O’Brien who took the man of the match award with an assured performance in midfield.

O'Brien set Heys on their way to victory with a debut goal in the 14th minute, heading home a Paul Tierney corner.

Jamie Baguley added a second goal from another Tierney corner 10 minutes later, finding the net with a deft back heel after Greg Wills had stabbed the ball goalwards.

Heys were totally dominant, bossing the game in the middle of the park, with Brad Lyons and Dom Slaven also impressive.

Slaven instigated the move that brought Heys a third goal in the 39th minute, winning possession out wide and breaking forward before the ball was finally worked to Wills after a string of passes and he slotted home from close range.

The goals continued to flow in the second half as Adam Nuttall – who replaced Baguley at the interval – crashed in a superb overhead kick from a Tierney corner four minutes after the break.

Nuttall’s pace and movement was causing real problems for the visitors and he was twice denied by good low saves by LR keeper Louis Murray before seeing a shot from the edge of the area just clear the bar.

Heys’ keeper Danny Taberner ensured a clean sheet in the 73rd minute with a fine fingertip save to keep out a David Moore shot but it was an isolated moment of danger as Heys continued to spray the ball around.

In the 76th minute they added a fifth when, from a Slaven centre, Jake Wood popped up at the far post to slot home.  

Ash Reece fired one just over from 25 yards before Murray denied Nuttall again and then James Hampson went close to a debut goal, following his arrival from Stockport Town, but his header went just wide.

Four minutes from time Heys made it six as Slaven capped his fine display with a great finish from 30 yards, firing it into the top corner after spotting the keeper was out of position.

Heys bring the curtain down on a memorable 2016 when they host St Helens Town tomorrow night at Adie Moran Park (7.45pm).