A LAST-GASP goal denied Prestwich Heys victory at Dukinfield Town last Saturday, writes Stephen Howard.

In a hard-fought contest, Jon Lyons’ side were left to rue their failure to capitalise on a first half of total domination.

Heys created numerous chances as they camped out in the Dukinfield half for long periods and although they eventually took the lead in the 49th minute through Erike Sousa they were not able to hold out for victory.

From the outset Heys took charge and the first opening came after 10 minutes when, from a corner, the ball broke in the box to Mark Drew but his shot flew across the face of goal.

A minute later, Sousa put a superb pass through for Chris Denham to run on to but the striker’s shot was pushed to safety by Town keeper Alan Mills.

Gareth Walsh saw a header blocked on the line in the 15th minute before Sousa, following up, blazed over.

As the unrelenting pressure continued Mills saved one-on-one with Sousa before then tipping a Paul Tierney effort onto the bar.

However, Heys were almost undone in the 40th minute as the hosts launched their first meaningful attack with a sweeping move culminating in Karl Monks firing over.

Fears that Heys may be made to pay for their profligacy were almost confirmed in the opening minute of the second half when the hosts’ standout player, Tyler Devlin, hit the angle of post and bar, after a forceful run.

In the 49th minute, though, Sousa got in behind the defence before proving too quick for the onrushing keeper and steering the ball into the unguarded net.

Injuries to Drew and Lyons disrupted the Heys midfield.

And just when it seemed Heys had seen the game out a swift break saw them short on numbers at the back and Arron Williams steered low past Sadler for a 90th-minute equaliser.

Heys travel to Chapel Town on Saturday (2pm) before then making the short trip to Tottington United on Monday night in the Kenyon Cup semi-final (kick off 6.15pm).

Heys are also through to the semis of the Atherton Charity Cup after an impressive 2-0 win at holders Hindsford last Wednesday night.

Tierney and Jamie Treanor scored the goals.