LEWIS Jarvis took four wickets for the loss of just four runs to help Prestwich to derby victory over Stand in the Walkden Cup.

The pace bowler’s mid-innings blitz saw Stand crumble to 51-6 from 43-2 and they ultimately failed to overcome Prestwich’s total of 171 as the hosts progressed to the quarter-finals.

After a Lancashire County League victory over Cheetham Hill on Saturday, Prestwich went into the cup tie in positive mood.

Despite a bright opening start from James Wharmby (20) and Carl Hey (16), which realised 25 from the first four overs, Stand hit back with two wickets from the lively Matt Curphey and one from Jack Walmsley to peg the score back to 53.

Ryan Stanbury struck a couple of fierce boundaries before being caught by Brett Ernst on the leg side for 15 and it was the in-form Sam Holden who proved crucial to Prestwich, with a vital innings of 48, again falling frustratingly short of the bat-raising figure. There was support from debutant Ali Raza (13) and David Taylor (17) but with Adnan grabbing four victims in a tight 10-over spell, Prestwich were losing wickets at an alarming rate. Indeed, had it not been for a 22-run partnership between Jarvis (6 not out) and skipper Andy Bradley (14), the target could have been noticeably smaller. Adnan finished with 4-29, while Curphey (3-37) and Walmsley, 1-17 off 10 overs, were able assistants.

Alex Beirne also had an outstanding game behind the stumps, claiming six victims – four caught and two stumped.

Stand faced the expected early onslaught and Stanbury and Holden grabbed a wicket apiece to remove openers David Taylor and Matt Holt, but it was Jarvis who turned the game hugely in the home side’s favour with a fine spell.

Ernst, Curphey, Alex Bell and Carl Sutcliffe all fell in quick succession.

Stuart Catterall showed typical defiance, but with Bradley claiming three late-order wickets, the task became too weighty and Catterall played onto his stumps off Holden to be last man out for 35 as Stand fell 62 runs short.

Jarvis finished with a match-defining 4-21, with Bradley claiming 3-23 and Holden 2-22.

The previous day, hard sweat and toil was needed in abundance as unbeaten Cheetham Hill showed they were in intent on free-scoring. Stanbury struck with the fifth ball of the game to dismiss Farooq, caught by keeper Wharmby, but the stealthy 64-run partnership of Magsood (23) and Ahmed (37) was undone when Tom Gibson ran out the former.

An 11-over stint by Jarvis, who replaced an opening burst from Holden, was rewarded with 2-48.

Whilst the runs ticked over, wickets began to fall at regular intervals on a benign-looking wicket, to make it 106-5. Tufail top scored with 43 but was trapped lbw by Bradley, who finished with 3-54 from 18 overs, and the Prestwich attack did well to restrict the score to below 200, as Hill finished on 185-8.

The core of the Prestwich reply was dominated by two sturdy stands, the first between Gibson and Holden of 74.

Holden fell agonisingly short of his half century, gradually warming to the task and cracking 49, including six boundaries.

Dismissed with the score on 117, there was still work to be done but Stansbury strode to the wicket with purpose to take part in the second worthy stand of 55. He smacked an unbeaten 39 off 36 balls, with the standout shot being a mighty six.

Gibson completed an excellent half century and proved the rock of the innings, having come to the crease with the score on 21, and only being dismissed just a handful runs short of victory. Prestwich passed the target with six wickets and seven overs in hand.

There’s no rest for the first team this weekend with a triple-header – all at The Heys.

Thornham are the visitors in the league on Saturday, followed by Farnworth in the National Knockout Cup on Sunday, and Read in the Lancashire Cup on Monday.