When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
New housing estate could be built at former dyeworks
11:20am Wednesday 15th August 2012 in News
A FORMER dyeworks could become a housing development comprising six new streets.
All buildings used by the dyeworks have been demolished and, in 2006, the council granted permission for 84 houses to be built there.
Then in 2007, the council approved another proposal for 79 homes to be built there along with offices, but neither project started.
A new report to the council said: “The site in its current form and nature is detrimental to the character and landscape of the surrounding area.
“Development would have a positive impact on the local area.
“The mix and size of house -types will attract a wide range of buyers, including first-time buyers, young couples, families and elderly people.”
All the properties would be two storey and set out in short terraces.
Nine would have two bedrooms, 85 would have three bedrooms and 17 would have four bedrooms, and a footpath leading on to Leigh Lane would be created.
If Bury Council grants permission, Persimmon would put £353,977 towards providing open space and other environment projects near to the site and would put £282,521 towards creating employment in the borough.
The firm would work with children from Guardian Angels RC Primary School in Elton to design decorative £27,000 railings, which will relate to the history of the site.
So far, three people have formally objected to the application and two have formally supported it.
Elton Cllr James Frith said: “My concern would be that, if this application for development of a brownfield site isn’t granted, it could place pressure on greenfield sites and harm wildlife.”
The public consultation period ends on August 31 and the council is aiming to reach a decision by November 2.