A 23-year-old man is still in a serious condition in hospital after falling 30 feet from an apartment balcony at The Rock while attending a party.

Police were called to the shopping precinct at 6.30am on Sunday to find the man, who had fallen from a first-floor flat, at the foot of the apartment block in Peruzzi House, near to Topshop and Next.

It was initially thought that he had suffered only minor injuries, however it was later discovered that he had suffered a shattered pelvis, a broken wrist and internal injuries.

His condition was described as “life-threatening” on Sunday, and Greater Manchester Police confirmed yesterday that he was in a “serious” condition and investigations were still continuing to find out what happened.

Police say the incident is not being treated as suspicious, and it is understood that the man, who has not been named, was attending a party at the apartment block.

Police were at the scene for around eight hours and cordoned off an area outside Topshop, and the man was taken to the Salford Royal hospital.

It is believed the man is a student at Salford University, and that he was conscious before he went into surgery.

Michelle Boudin, who lives in the same apartment block nearby, said: “I heard shouting at about half six in the morning which woke me up, as if there could have been a fight, but I didn’t get up and have a look.

“Then at about 9.30am I saw all the area had been cordoned off.

“My mum had gone out to the shops when the police were there and saw blood on the doors of the apartment block.”

A police spokesman confirmed: “Officers were called to The Rock to a report of a male who had been found at the base of the apartment block.

“An ambulance also attended and the male appeared to have received arm and hip injuries, and was taken away in an ambulance for treatment.

“Further examinations showed he has very serious bodily injuries which are life threatening.”

He added: “The circumstances around the male falling from the apartment are still under investigation, and a number of witnesses have been spoken to, and forensic work was completed by police.”