When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Woman of the Year opens new hospice
9:56am Thursday 21st March 2013 in News
THE new £5 million Bury Hospice has officially opened its doors to staff, volunteers and patients.
A short opening ceremony was held at the Rochdale Old Road site on Monday, where a ribbon was cut by Bury’s Woman of the Year Geeta Sarin and Jacqui Comber, the hospice’s chief executive.
Among those in attendance were nursing staff, fundraisers and volunteers.
Miss Sarin, who lives in Whitefield and is a volunteer with several Bury organisations, said: “I am overwhelmed and I am honoured to be here. I am really pleased that to take part in this.
“I wish Bury Hospice the best of luck. I’m grateful to all the people who have contributed to making the hospice how it is now. It’s a beautiful building.”
Mrs Comber said: “This is a momentous occasion. It’s now the start of a new era for the hospice.
“I want to thank everyone who has made the dream of a new hospice come true.”
Patients were transported from the existing hospice in Dumers Lane, Radcliffe, on Tuesday, by paramedics from North West Ambulance Service.
They will now benefit from state-of-the-art facilities designed for people with life-limiting conditions.
The new hospice has 12 inpatient bedrooms, relaxation areas, accommodation for families and an outpatient centre for various treatments.
About 1,000 people will be cared for there each year, a massive increase from the 350 patients previously treated.
The majority of the money needed for the hospice — 76 per cent — was donated by people from Bury in a campaign backed by the Bury Times.
The remaining 24 per cent came from grant-making trusts and the NHS.