INDUSTRIAL unrest over staffing on the railways is continuing, with a fresh strike set to hit commuters.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) will walk out for 24 hours on April 28 on Arriva Rail North.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash accused the company, which operates Northern Rail services, of failing to offer progress in talks and trying to “bulldoze through” plans for driver-only operation on new trains.
He said: “The public, who support RMT’s campaign for a guarantee of a guard on their trains, will be appalled that Arriva Rail North have failed to offer any kind of progress whatsoever in the talks and have instead opted to try and bulldoze through their plans regardless.
“It is that flagrant disregard for the safety issues at the heart of the dispute which leaves us with no option but to put on this further day of strike action.
“RMT commends our Arriva Rail North Members on their rock solid display of strength, resolve and unity during the action so far in opposition to the introduction of driver controlled operation and defence of the guards.
“The union continues to remain available for meaningful discussions with the company in order to seek a satisfactory resolution to the on-going dispute.”
RMT members also went on strike earlier this month, protesting against new driver-controlled trains being introduced from 2020.
Richard Allan, deputy managing director of Northern, said: “We have robust contingency plans in place to keep our customers on the move where possible.”
“We urge RMT to get back round the table with an open mind as soon as possible.
“In addition to protecting jobs and current pay, we are also willing to offer future annual pay reviews for existing conductors if we can agree a deal with RMT.”