A SCHOOLGIRL has been referred to a plastic surgeon after a new playground craze left her with serious chemical burns.

Deejay Jemmett, aged 10, suffered serious burns to her hands after making ‘unicorn slime’ and now her mum, Rebekha D’Stephano wants to warn other parents about the dangers.

Ms D’Stephano, from Prestwich, said the polymer ‘slime’ is the newest children’s craze since loom bands.

But the glittery goo left her daughter’s hands blistered and burnt after she used an online guide to make the slime.

Her mum said: “The list of ingredients included borax, which is a powerful chemical also known as sodium borate, which can be found in powder form for washing clothes or household cleaning products.

“The chemical can affect fertility or cause serious eye irritation according to European Chemicals Agency.

“Instead we used an alternative fabric detergent, which was recommended on an official parenting site.

“Within 48 hours tiny white blisters started to appear on her hands so I took her to the doctors and they asked if I had been using anything different or bought new soap.

“We were told she had chemical burns. I knew nothing had changed at home so it had to be the slime.

“She went to see her dad and by the time she came home her hands had reacted even more, the skin had started to peel off and it only got worse.”

“We’ve been referred to Wythenshawe Hospital’s burns unit to see a plastic surgeon and she’s petrified.”

Deejay, a pupil at St Luke’s Primary School in Irlams o’ th’ Height, Salford, was prescribed a steroid to treat her hands.

The slime can be made using glitter glue, borax, wood glue, food colouring, water shaving foam, liquid starch and washing up liquid.

Ms D’Stephano said: “It’s engaging for children and encourages them to be creative. I don’t want to stop them having fun but people should be aware.

“Borax is an extremely strong chemical which shouldn’t be in the hands of young children.

“Although DeeJay used an alternative which is a product we use in everyday life, there are still dangers.”

Ms D’Stephano added: “I just can’t believe it’s happened. So many children are making this stuff and DeeJay is facing a skin graft to correct her hands. It’s really dangerous.

“I’ve been feeling awful about it but my friends have reminded me, we found this guide on a popular parenting website and parents would never imagine their children ending up in so much pain from following the guide.

“She’s been in constant pain and I’ve had to cut the skin off her hands at night.

“It’s a huge children’s craze but I want to warn other parents about it because they need to know what the affects can be.”

Ms D’Stephano posted pictures of DeeJay’s hands with a warning on Facebook, which has been shared 700 times.

She posted: “My little Queen has been making slime off YouTube, they call it Unicorn Slime or Tie Dye Slime, crazy names, all in really pretty and funky colours.

“I went and bought DeeJay all the ingredients and let her make it. Three weeks later we are looking at plastic surgery on her hands from a burns department at hospital.

“She started with blisters, then her skin peeled and now it’s burnt from chemical burns.

“Do not let them do this. She is in so much pain and she is being a warrior through it all.”