PRESTWICH Heys opened their pre-season campaign with mixed results.

Goals from Abid Uddin and Jamie Treanor gave them a 2-0 Kenyon Cup win at Radcliife Town last Tuesday night.

But 24 hours later Heys went down 5-2 to North West Counties Premier Division side Maine Road at their Sandgate Road home.

Manager Jon Lyons gave run outs to 16 players against Radcliffe in the club’s first pre-season outing.

Both goals came in a first half that Heys bossed from start to finish.

Uddin opened the scoring in the 15th minute, marking his return to the club with a lofted shot on the turn after the home keeper failed to clear his lines.

Ten minutes later, Treanor – in his first game back at Heys following three years at Walshaw – got up after being brought down in the box to add the second goal from the penalty spot.

Erike Sousa was twice denied by fine saves and a Liam Dunn shot hit the inside of the post as Heys threatened to run riot.

Frequent substitutions meant they could not maintain the same fluency in a scrappy second half. The best two chances fell to a plucky Radcliffe side with Rob Sadler denying one opportunity with a fine one-on-one save.

The game also saw Marvin Walters play his first match after an 18 month absence due to injury.

Maine Road proved a much tougher proposition, however.

They were more clinical and sharper against a gallant Heys side for whom many players were having their first outing of the pre-season.

Ryan McGreevy, who was at Irlam Town last season, and former Droylsden player Malachi Slaven were partnered in centre midfield, while Dave McNally was brought in from AFC Bury to make his debut for the club at full-back.

The visitors deservedly took the lead in the 26th minute, but Heys hit back from the penalty spot just after the half hour, Martin Love slotting home after McGreevy was brought down.

The scores remained level up to the break, but Maine Road were 3-1 up by the 65th minute.

Heys reduced the arrears with 20 minutes remaining when Love added his second with a sublime low shot.

And they then had opportunities to level, with Phil Woodcock going closest with a header from a corner.

But Maine Road finished strongly and scored twice in the final 10 minutes to round off a deserved victory.

Heys continue their build-up to the season on Saturday with a friendly against NWCL Premier Division side West Didsbury and Chorlton at Sandgate Road, kick off 3pm.

On the same day, Heys will send a side to Lancashire and Cheshire League outfit Old Stretfordians, kick off 2pm.

And they will complete their group fixtures in the Kenyon Cup next Tuesday night, away at Bolton County, kick off 7pm.